We live in a time where you can conduct the entirety of your business entirely from your couch. From start to finish. What's not to love?
For some, online sales provide supplementary income in addition to the main job they do. For others, it's become a full time job. What both cases have in common is, that they both leverage the undeniable benefits of selling digital products
Here are some benefits of selling digital products online:
- They're infinitely scalable - you're never limited to how many products can sell. The sky's the limit!
- You don't worry about logistics - where to keep stock, how to package your products, and making sure that they get shipped out on time are all problems that physical product sellers have, that digital product sellers don't have to deal with.
- Low upfront costs - the barrier to entry is low when selling digital products. It doesn't demand much of an upfront investment as you don't have to invest in stock or manufacturing.
The biggest question that often stops those who are looking to create their online business is - but what can you sell?
So if you've decided to give digital product sales a go, but can't think of a great niche product that's perfect for you to sell, then this list is for you.
We've put together a giant list of 101 digital products you can sell, divided it into different categories for easier browsing. Use this as a source of inspiration, and don't be afraid to think outside the box and come up with your own unique spin on a product to sell.
Here's our list of 101 digital products you can sell online
Regardless of what you're selling, whether online or off, the key is to always provide value. If what you have to offer (in the way you package it), is of value to others, you can sell it. With that in mind, here are 101 ideas of products you can sell online that are guaranteed to bring value to a niche audience.
Self-publishing has become a modern-day reality, letting anyone with anything to offer the world the ability to make it available online (and sell it, too!). Put words into documents, be it an ebook or a PDF, and turn words into value.
Take WLA Landscape Architecture Magazine, for example, a bimonthly landscape architecture magazine publishing projects from across the world.
- Ebook - non-fiction
- Ebook - fiction
- Poetry book
- Ecommerce product descriptions
- Copywriting templates (ex. How to fire a client, how to raise prices)
- Recipe books
- Document templates
- Reports/analytics templates
- Email campaign templates (upselling, cross-selling, re-engagement, etc.)
- Creative brief samples/templates
- Academic research, papers, findings
- Writing cover letters
- Dispute letters (with banks, attorneys, clients, etc.)
Thanks to the ability to store and send audio digitally through MP3s and other formats, we're able to sell audio content online. Thanks to the demand in audio, there's a market for it.
Take DECAP, for example, who have made his drum kits available online.
- Sound effects
- Voice overs (as a service)
- Instrumental tracks
Video content has become a powerful tool to deliver messages online. It's highly in demand, while being a product that involves a high learning curve to master. If you feel comfortable with video, you're in the position to help out a lot of people who are willing to pay in return.
VFXnut is taking advantage by the rising popularity of Youtube channels, by offering specific video elements and bundles for Youtubers who don't have the skills to do it themselves.
Here are a few more ways you can leverage your video skills online:
- Sell short films (entertainment)
- Video animation intros
- Stock video
- Video tutorials (ex. How to use a DSLR camera, follow along yoga, learn to code, edit a vlog, etc.)
- Professionally edited short videos as a service(wedding, travel, etc.)
- Stand-up comedy
Design has become a heavily digitized industry, while simultaneously being in demand and dependant on knowledge and use of expensive tools and good taste. That makes for the perfect skill set to sell online.
Take Pixel Bazaar, for example, who sells icons online. Learn about how he made $5000 from two icon bundles within his first year of selling.
Here are more ideas of what you can create and sell online with design skills:
- Photoshop/illustrator templates
- Branding services
- Photoshop services (airbrushing, touch ups, etc.)
- Logo design
- Business card design
- Infographic design
- Turn images into vector files
- Powerpoint / Keynote presentation templates
- Printout origami
- Printable colouring book pages
- 3D models
- VR/AR templates
- 3D printer design files
- Icon sets
- Wedding invitation templates
- CGI models
- Printable calendars
- Printable journals
Photography can turn out to be an expensive hobby, but it's possible to turn it into an income generator as well, like Benjamin Lambinet of IWLTBAP did, by making his LUTs (Lookup tables) available for purchase.
Here are just a few ways you can start selling your photography skills online:
- Lightroom/photoshop presets
- Mockup images
- Stock photos
- LUTs (Lookup Tables)
IT and tech:
It's commonly known that IT and tech jobs are lucrative. Transfer those jobs to the online sales realm, and you're in good shape to develop an income based on online sales.
Take, VSKYLAB, for example, who have developed an entire line of addons for specific flight simulators:
This goes to show that you can really create digital products for things outside the box, based on your interests and skills.
- Browser plugins
- Website themes (Wordpress, for example, powers 60% of the internet's CMSs)
- Setup for online stores, blogs, websites
- Selling domains
- Zapier templates
- Code snippets
If you are very knowledgeable in certain topics, chances are there are people who want to learn from you. There are many ways to facilitate this sort of knowledge transfer online. At the same time, there are plenty of ways to sell your time online. Here are some ways you can do that.
Eli Prinsen is a vocal trainer, who has begun to offer vocal lessons online. Why limit yourself to typical in-person lessons, when we have all of the technologies available at hand?
There are so many more ways to leverage your skills to sell online. Here are some of them:
- Language lessons
- Financial consultations
- Financial planning
- Coaching/mentoring sessions
- Resume touchups
- Essay-writing services
- Social media marketing
- User testing
- Audits (accounting audits, content audits, etc.)
- Career consultations
And then there are the things that don't belong in a category, but are viable products to sell online. It just goes to show, the sky's the limit.
Take these health and self-love courses, for example.
- Courses - of any and all kinds
- Sewing patterns
- Knitting patterns
- Architectural plans
- Nutrition plans
- Meal-prep plans
- Workout plans
- Custom vacation/travel planning
- Virtual assisting
- Worksheets (educational curriculum ideas)
- Paid newsletters
- Woodworking instructions - step-by-step tutorials
- Custom beauty/style/skincare consultations
- Drawing lessons - step-by-step
- Board game printouts
- Astrology readings
- Car/equipment repair manuals
- Meditation/subliminal programs
- Stock market analysis software
- Minecraft skins/renders
- Painting tutorials
Taking the leap is the hardest part
Starting to sell products online may be daunting, but deciding on the product is the hardest part - it just gets easier from here. All it takes it choosing a product from this list, putting together the digital assets, and then launching your store.
So whether you're looking to create some supplementary income, or launch a full-fledged online business, you've come to the right place. Good luck to you!
Subscribe to Sellfy Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox